Your ability to complete your plan successfully may be affected by unexpected situations such as illness, loss of wages or employment or unexpected expenses. If you experience a problem making your plan payments, you must contact your attorney immediately. It may be possible for your attorney to make adjustments to your plan or for you to convert your case to a Chapter 7, modify your Chapter 13 plan or move for a hardship discharge.

It is important to remember that the Trustee’s office has no authority to allow you to miss a payment or to let you pay less than what your plan provides.
An order from the court confirming your plan binds you to make all required payments. If you simply stop making payments, the Trustee will ask the Court to dismiss your case. You also have the right to ask the Court, through your attorney, to dismiss your case if you no longer want to remain in bankruptcy.

This web site is for informational purposes only. The Office of the Chapter 13 Trustee does not render legal advice. If you have a legal question concerning a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, please contact your attorney.